Vue Router 2.0 and Modals

Hello all, wondering if I could get some help on structuring something in my app.

I have a component that lists a bunch of items, and I would like to be able to open a modal for each. In Vue 1 I had a single modal component and would open it by broadcasting/dispatching an event and pass the item through to the modal.

However in Vue 2 I don’t have broadcasting/dispatching available, and I’m using the router. I did look into named views, but wasn’t sure if that’s the direction to go.

One other factor: I would like to be able to navigate to a url and have the modal open automatically for specific items, which means I either need to pass a hash or query string.

Can someone give some advice on how I should proceed? Thank you

Vue2 modal with URL
Modal with vue-router dynamic parent
const route = [
  { 
    path: '/items', 
    component: Items,
    children: [
      { path: ':id', component: ItemModal, name: 'itemModel' }
    ]:
  },
]

Items.vue

<template>
  <table>
    <!-- you item list -->
    <tr><td>
      <router-link :to="{name: 'itemModal', params: {id: item.id}}">See item 1</router-link>
    </td></tr>
  </table>
  <router-view>
    <!-- here the ItemModal component will be rendered -->
  </router-view>
</template>

ItemModal.vue

<template>
  <modal> <!-- some generic modal component, wrapping a CSS modal -->
    <h1>{{item.name}}</h1>
   <button @click="$router.go(-1)">close</button>
  </modal>
</template>

<script>
export default {
  data() {
    return {
      item: null
    }
  },
  created() {
    // use $route.params.id to get the item for that ID from whereever you have stored all the items.
    this.item = getItemFromSomeWhere()
  }
}
</script>

Hey, just following up here… Thank you for your advice @LinusBorg

I can’t imagine where I’d be without the help of people like you. Thank you!

Hi @LinusBorg I have a question regarding this.

Im building an e-commerce site where almost every route (around 15) need to have this child route modal. This means I have to add <router-view> to all my components and also add children to all my routes.

{
        path: '/',
        name: 'app',
        component: Home,
        children: [
            {   path: '/modal/products/:id/:slug?',
                component: ProductModal,
                name: 'productModal'
            }
        ]
    },

I guess I can loop over my routes object and push the child route to the children array and just add the <router-views> to the components but was wondering if theres a better way?

Also I wonder, if a user is coming from a link outside the website he should be redirected to the product link instead of a modal, for that I was thinking of using the beforeEach hook like:

router.beforeEach((to, from, next) => {
    if ( from.name == null && to.name == "productModal" ) { 
        router.push({ name: 'productPage', params: { id: to.params.id, slug: to.params.slug }})
    } else {
        next();
    }
});

Does this sound like a reasonable approach?

I was wrong about this. I thought the children was only matched for the route the users currently at so I could add the same child for every route but it was not how it worked. I could only make my model work for the home route since thats the first one matched.

@LinusBorg @jschutt
Hi guys, im trying to implement this too, however I get an error that “items” is no defined during render

//I thought i could pass a list of objects in 
this.item = getItemFromSomeWhere()
//like this 
this.item = this.modals

Any help with what i am doing wrong is much appreciated.

Thank you, LinusBorg, for this information. I have been looking for an elegant way to use modals in a new VueJS application, and this works really well for me.

Hey guys, this works, but since the route is changing now, it has the odd effect of hiding the current content of the page. Typically when showing a modal, you want it on TOP of what ever the existing content is.

How can we make the existing content stay in place?

Heads up that modal is misspelled as model if you are copying this code (name: ‘itemModel’).