Transition-group leave transition w/ position: absolute jumping to top-left (FLIP)

Hey there,

I’ve run into a frustrating issue where my list items that are leaving are jumping to the top-left of its container while using the FLIP move/leave technique.

position: absolute; is necessary on list-leave-active in order for the rest of the items to move into place, however it’s also causing the leaving element to jump to the top-left of its parent container before its leave transition starts (which is to fade and translate down 10px, in this case).

I need my list to use flexbox in order to get the items to flow and wrap easily, so positioning my elements absolutely in the grid isn’t an option. I thought the point of implementing FLIP was for elements to retain their position properly and enter/leave/move gracefully with that in mind.

Here’s a CodePen with an example reproducing the issue on the latest version of Vue (2.3.3).
Click on the items to remove them and see the issue:

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

What web browser are you using? I’m on Chrome and it seems to be working for me. The leaving element moves to the top left (first element) while fading? I dont see any jumping of the element.

Apologies—the problem is that it’s animating to the top-left, when it should stay in place, fade out, and slide down 10px per the list-leave-to CSS class. This is being caused by the element having position: absolute on it during list-leave-active so that the other list items can animate into their places.

Does that make more sense?

For now, I ended up using a beforeLeave hook on the transition to size and position the element before the transition starts. The convenience of Vue’s FLIP behavior is defeated without this being the default behavior.

<transition-group
  @before-leave="beforeLeave">
</transition>
methods: {
  beforeLeave(el) {
    const {marginLeft, marginTop, width, height} = window.getComputedStyle(el)
    el.style.left = `${el.offsetLeft - parseFloat(marginLeft, 10)}px`
    el.style.top = `${el.offsetTop - parseFloat(marginTop, 10)}px`
    el.style.width = width
    el.style.height = height
  }
}

Hopefully this is helpful to someone with the same issues!

Created an account just to say thank you @docmars! This was driving me crazy :slight_smile: