Installed Vue CLI 3, getting blank page with no errors

I updated from vue-cli to Vue CLI 3. At first, I had them both installed. Then I uninstalled vue-cli. (Wasn’t sure if they could co-exist). Now, when I run my project (via npm run serve) it builds with no errors, but displays a blank page in the browser. I get no console errors, and no root element shows up in Vue dev tools.

I’m not sure where to start with this, as I seem to be getting no errors that might guide my investigation. Could something be missing? A dependency? Should I uninstall Vue CLI 3 and reinstall? Any ideas would be welcome!

Warning regarding Previous Versions
The package name changed from vue-cli to @vue/cli . If you have the previous vue-cli (1.x or 2.x) package installed globally, you need to uninstall it first with npm uninstall vue-cli -g or yarn global remove vue-cli .

Cli has nothing to do with the operation of the project, it is only responsible for creating the project.

2 Likes

Ok. I assumed it might be from the CLI update since it happened around the same time.

Perhaps a better question might have been, how do I begin to troubleshoot a blank page when I get no errors from my build, browser console, or Vue dev tools?

The dist directory is meant to be served by an HTTP server (unless you’ve configured publicPath to be a relative value), so it will not work if you open dist/index.html directly over file:// protocol.

You just saved my day, and come to think of it, if someone hadn’t done that, I was getting ready to look for tall buildings. Thaaaaaank you :slight_smile: