If else statements do not work in filter

Can somebody please help me understand what I am doing wrong here. i have spend about 6 hours on this and no go what so ever.
All I want to do is filter through array InventoryTotal and when the id = to what i selected to set the inventory to that number else to set it to 0. No matter what I do the code gives me

So the value is set to 22 and than 0. For some reason the system does not stop after it found the if statement but than executes the else.

I also tried switch cases but they do not seem to work in vuejs.

onChange(event) {
            this.fromLocation = event.target.value
            this.inventoryTotal.filter(function(elem){
                if(elem.location_id == event.target.value){
                  vm.tranferAmount = elem.stock; 
                  console.log(vm.tranferAmount);
                }else{
                    vm.tranferAmount = 0; 
                }

});

},

The Array.filter function loops through all items in the input array to construct a filtered array containing items for which the internal function returns true. That’s why the function doesn’t stop.

Instead you want Array.find:

onChange(event) {
    this.fromLocation = event.target.value
    var selectedItem = this.inventoryTotal.find(function(elem){
        return elem.location_id == event.target.value
    })
    vm.tranferAmount = selectedItem.stock; // what is vm.?
});

However, there is a better way of achieving what you want. Instead of putting the location_id and value on the DOM element, you can use the onChange event (or better still a v-model binding to bind fromLocation to the selected item’s location_id, then use computed properties to get the transferAmount.

Hopefully this jsfiddle demonstrates this for you: https://jsfiddle.net/Lu48t2dr/1/

wow thank you, i am really new to vue but this makes more sense. Thank you for putting all that together.