Composing multiple apps as a single SPA

At my company, we’re replacing several desktop apps with vue apps.
Each vue app will have a common wrapper.
Although each app uses a common wrapper, there may be specific components in the wrapper that the app needs to be responsible for (see illustration)
Each vue app will need to be able to be developed, tested, and deployed independently.
Ideally, each app will would show the wrapper during development.

How can we compose these multiple apps so that they appear to be a single spa (that is, the β€œapp” changes, but the wrapper doesn’t refresh)?

β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”
β”‚ .─────────.             β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”β”‚
β”‚(   LOGO    )            β”‚APP SPECIFIC BTN GRPβ”‚β”‚BTN2β”‚β”‚BTN1β”‚β”‚
β”‚ `─────────'             β””β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜β””β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜β””β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜β”‚
β”œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”¬β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€
β”‚               β”‚β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ”‚
β”‚ nav area.     β”‚β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ”‚
β”‚ the app will  β”‚β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ”‚
β”‚ dictate some  β”‚β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ”‚
β”‚ of the items  β”‚β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆAPP 1 AREAβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ”‚
β”‚ here, some    β”‚β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ”‚
β”‚ will be staticβ”‚β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ”‚
β”‚               β”‚β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ”‚
β””β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”΄β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜
                            β”‚                                
                            β–Ό                                
      β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”         
      β”‚β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ”‚         
      β”‚β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ”‚         
      β”‚β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆAPP 2 AREAβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ”‚         
      β””β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜         
                            β”‚                                
                            β–Ό                                
      β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”         
      β”‚β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆAPP 3 AREAβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ”‚         
      β””β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜

vue router does exactly what you need.

Just write your β€˜wrapper’ in your main vue file, config your routes, write your other components, and put the router-view component in your main vue file and you are set.

I maybe didn’t explain very clearly.

Each app has to be a different, independently testable deployable app.

I want it to behave as though all these different apps are a single app, but they are in fact separate.

sounds like you want multiple vue instances in different pages of an SPA?
it might not be the best way but i guess you can have different vue instances and use js or jquery to handle the routing for your master app?

I’m looking at exactly what you want. I’m thinking of β€˜app’ components that use a module in a single store (though each app can have its own store). You can provide any β€˜host’ component you want, including simple ones for testing that just creates the vue app instance and stor and whatever component needs to be separately looked at. When putting things together, you just route to them using your navigation mechanism.
I’ll want to use a dynamic component to host a number of app instances for some β€˜multi-tasking’ capabilities.

I am looking at doing something similar to the question posted here. What was the final solution for this? Thanks!

So your problem is the same as mine. And to add to the complexity, my wrapper should handle login as well, and pass the Auth-state to the different apps. Any solutions out there yet?

Maybe its too late for an answer.
But I had made a sample app to load different apps in page. Each app is independent of the other.
I dont know if this is the best solution.
vue-multiple-apps

Thanks,how to specify the default router for each app when loaded?

Hi, each app has it own router.

We ended up going a completely different way:

We made a commons library that contained any components that spanned multiple applications. This includes things such as the main page layout, header, sidebar, etc. The commons library also handled auth. (We used auth0 which made this super simple).

Then, each app was programmed, deployed, managed, etc managed completely separate from one another.

Nginx handled deciding which app to render for a specific app.

Yes, this means the β€œwrapper” refreshed when a user changed from one app to another. In practice, this wasn’t an actual problem for us.

Sorry,I means how to redirect to specific page of each app when it loaded.Each app have many pages.

Each app has it own router and only one page. The vue-cli template page β€œHello World”.
You have to add to each app router your routes.

eg:

routes: [
    {
      path: '/',
      name: 'HelloWorld',
      component: HelloWorld
    },
    // Add your pages
    {
      path: '/page2',
      name: 'Page2',
      component: Page2
    }
  ]

Yes,how to display page2 by default when load app2?

routes: [
    {
      path: '/',
      name: 'Page2',
      component: Page2
    }
  ]

or on created

router.push()

I thought about a different option. Treating each app as a plugin that exports a component and a store module. So the component is in fact the app you want to integrate and it has his own vuex module.
Code wise, the plugin looks something like this:

// The plugin
import Component from './component.vue';
import componentModule from './componentModule';

export default {
  install(Vue, options) {
    // The store provided by the wrapping application
    const store = options.store;

// Register the Component
    Vue.component(Component.name, Component);

// Register the Component's module
    store.registerModule('componentModule', componentModule);
  }
};

Then you can build the plugin as a library and use it in whatever application you wish.

if you are creating app using vue cli, with vuecliservice,

you can create .vue.config.js with pages option.

pages: {
            index: {
                entry: 'src/app1.js', //instead of main.js
                template: 'public/index.html',
            },
            profile: {
                entry: 'src/app2.js',
                template: 'public/app2.html'
            }
        }

and then in app1.js and app2.js you can easily reuse things as per you wish

And what did you do to Nginx decide which app to render?

Hey @maikinahara , your solution is the only one that I could find yet so thank you. I see that you are loading the different apps on a static index.html page. But how would you do it on a β€œmaster” vue app? This master app should have a shared component with the other apps too.

I’m looking for a solution to this issue as well. I have everything setup but want to know how the server knows which index file to serve? Seems like we would need to actually make a request rather than looking for the view within our main app’s router file. I’ve never built an MPA or done any SSR before.