Best GUI framework for VueJS? I guess that would be Quasar

I’ve been working on a comparison for some of these UI frameworks. There will be an article soon, but this seems like a good place to share the spreadsheet I’m putting together. It is open for editing right now, so if you have any additions feel free to add them in.

I’d really love to know what everyone is looking for when making a decision between these frameworks so I can make the spreadsheet and the article more helpful.

awesome! Looking forward.
I’ll add suggestions in the sheet. Thanks.

Things I considered when choosing a framework

• documentation quality
  • repository commit frequency
  • syntax simplicity
  • good gridsystem
  • good lists
  • good basic components are more important than the amount of components
  • userbase / community activity
  • platforms mobile(ios and android) and website

@matthias
nice work . maybe you should rearrange column and rows visa-versa and make a filters on top of columns

So we could use your table like
filter “mobile+desktop” and filter "cordova"
order by github stars and so on

i chose Quasar as a UI framework for one small project and got first view about it.

General mention is that it is not ready for production. Every component i use has errors or need refactor. This is my issues opened just first two days of working with quasar and have few more in mind. So I moving much slower as expect.

Another view is that this framework developed by one men. and nobody knows about long term support.
A good point is that Razvan is very very responsive (lower then a day) and every time ready to fix bug or answer a question.

I think quasar can be very nice UI framework in near future if he continue to work and resolve long term support

Hi, most are misuses. Most issues have been clarified and closed. Quasar is ready for production.

@alexey2baranov I’m using Quasar for several months now and it is one of the most bug-free piece of Free Open Source Software I have ever used (I started programming professionally in 1995).

I was so surprised to see you say it’s buggy that I looked at the issues you listed:

• The first four of them were because you were not using components correctly, or because a detail was forgotten in the docs.
  • The last one was a minor bug and it was fixed in less than six hours!

I’m building my MVP with Quasar and it’s very stable and consistent on the devices tested. I intend to use it in production for sure.
The only thing is that unit tests (Karma) integration features/guide are temporary delayed because of a vue-router related issue but I’m fine with e2e tests for now.

I think it is ready for production. In fact I’m about to start user testing my app in the Appstore and Playstore.

On a side note:
I think it’s not very polite to put all your git issues in this thread. Especially when you’re only 2 days into trying a framework. To be honest, and maybe I’m totally wrong, I’m sensing some learning curve frustration here. Out of experience I know, when getting started, 9 out of 10 it’s always RTFM. I did some stupid things with Quasar in the beginning, getting annoyed, only to find out I should have carefully read (and re-read) the docs first. And the quasar docs are very good.

I’m all for being critical at whatever software, but in an elegant way. Especially on the internet.

@LaurentPayot
I tried first four components i need for my project. That was autocomplete, list-dialog, q-number, input. And no one works as i expect. No one!! Autocomplete can’t return selected value (need refactor), list-dialog is not related with options datasource (looks like bug too), q-number can’t show empty value with min-max property (bug or feature?) and input could not show floating label without require property (performance issue). That is all i can see for two days. I opened total 10+ issues. The last point was when i show my project on my friend’s computer with Chrome->Settings->Font Size=Large and see that all list components crop their selected value. So i am not sure it is “one of the most bug-free piece of Free Open Source Software”

There is nothing reprehensible. This is open forum and quasar is open source project. it is a good practice to share our experience (not only good ones) and accumulate it together.

now i am looking for something else and will check quasar when next project

@alexey2baranov Hi, you opened 10 issues out of which all are now closed (some in a matter of hours, some in minutes). You’re using some pretty strong words there: “needs refactoring”, “performance issue”, “bug or feature”. As with any feature of any software you must take some time to understand the underlying problem (if there is any) before jumping to conclusions:

• “Autocomplete can’t return selected value” -> Autocomplete is meant to fill in the input box with the value that the user has selected, which is what it does. An enhancement is done (landing in v0.13) to emit an event on selection with a parameter that is the object that got selected, which is probably what you meant.
  • "q-number can’t show empty value with min-max property " -> fixed in a few hours. Landing in v0.13.
  • “input could not show floating label without require property (performance issue)” -> Yeah, require is required, like in the docs. Without it CSS can’t work (that’s the way it goes with current CSS standards). It isn’t a performance issue. It’s implemented this way to enhance performance. Rather than using JS it’s using only CSS. You might be thinking “oh, but what if I don’t require that field. what then?”. We’re using Vue and by using Vue you should take advantage of it, meaning use Vuelidate (as an example) instead of relying on forms and browser validation (which has its quirks on different browsers).

@rstoenescu
I agree every word you say. Yes yes and yes. As i said previously you are very responsive and fix code near the day.
I write my oppinion about working with quasar. You should be ready to open issue about every step you do. this is sumular when works with alfa-beta tested library. but what i am looking now is production ready framework which i can just get and work.

To make it short. Yes, I think so.

I am quite new to vuejs, so dont give my statement too much weight. I am currently creating my first mobile hybrid application.

I tried several frameworks and struggled very early on basic tasks (Maybe also a lack of knowledge an patience ). All my Problems where solved out of the box on Quasar on a very easy way. To name some of them :

• Building the app for different OS on the same codebase
  • Back button on Android

The frameworks I tried was Ionic, Framework7 and Onsen with Monaca. All of them are great and it is possible to Build big applications wit them. ( i know, not all of them are vuejs based, but even vuejs is awesome, i would go with angular 2 too)

But here are some plus I have on Quasar:

• Quasar-cli is great and comparable to Monaca. You got all the features you ned.
  • Quasar-play also easily keeps up with Monaca Debug Mobile App.
  • Onsen is very fast and touchy. I had the same experience on Quasar. Quasar seemed to be faster than Framework7.
  • Framework7 has tons of components. Quasar has less, but still more than i will ever need and it is growing very fast.
  • I am sure, there are Bugs. But i didn’t experienced one so far.
  • Phonegap integration is solved clean and elegantly. I didn’t tried Electron so far.

There is a template to start with, but i missed some basic tutorials. I think i will write some in the near future.

I was surprised and impressed, to see it was done mostly by one person only. And yes, it scares me a bit too. But Linux started also as a One man show. I really hope he will get some help or will be backed by a company.

So @rstoenescu keep up your great work.

Just found this thread. I am also looking at making the move to a JS framework and was looking at a few, but started looking at some of the components that they all use, and was really looking for one that used VueJS. Came across Quasar and really liked how it felt getting something going. I’m new to Node and JS and I have fooled with a few others and found that Quasar was really easy to get a simple sample working. Again, take this with a grain of salt since I’m really a noob just hacking around with example and such. I like the supplied UI components, and easy ability to mess with the theme of the project without much work.

Also one thing I look at is velocity on github and how the dev’s responses look, which are almost all next day turn around, and more people seem to be looking at it and hopefully move it along.

I’m not practiced enough in Node to be helpful but hopefully will get there at some point :slight_smile:

@rstoenescu Great job so far!!

Sandy

About the one-man show thingy.
Vue was born from that and was rock-solid even on its 0.10 days (my legacy apps still run that version to this day).
Evan’s velocity on bug fixes (maintained close to zero issues) and requested features were super.

@rstoenescu I see you’re on that path and wish you success (relative to vue).
One thing about quasar is that the generated css is huge (last time I looked) compared to alternatives.

I would vote for Vue Material

I liked Vue Material, but it would look wrong on an iPhone, iPad.

Hello!! I went to the site for the first time. I strongly advice

Anyone knows if it’s possible to only use the components from Quasar to integrate those into an existing project?

Hardly to say which one is the best,but I just read the doc, it seems awesome.

Im using Muse-ui .
it’s great, but has no SSR support

Quasar has so many great components that some of the other UI libraries don’t have, but I think the thing that holds it back is that the android components don’t quite adhere to the material design specification. The components don’t quite match, the padding is not quite right, and as a result, the demos ( and I guess any application built with them) end up looking ever so slightly amateur. The library needs some input from a professional design, and could become amazing